Thursday, April 27, 2023

Coming Out In College

   

  Have you ever experienced something so impactful that a core part of your identity was formed, one you had no idea you had? That’s something that happens to many LGBT+ individuals in college as they get out on their own. The sudden independence and exposure to individuals they may have never encountered otherwise can open the door to discovering themselves.

“I came out last year,” said Cyrus Jackson, a transgender man in his junior year. “I hadn’t really had a chance to think too much about my gender at home.” Once he’d gotten involved with other LGBT+ people on campus, the door to questioning things was opened. “One of my friends came out as nonbinary and when they did that, I started thinking about my gender more in-depth.”

Cyrus realized he’d never questioned anything because he’d always been the ‘beloved granddaughter’ and ‘perfect daughter.’ He’d simply accepted that role, and even though he never liked wearing dresses and never liked how his body looked, he assumed it was a regular part of puberty. In his prom photo, he’s the epitome of discomfort; his shoulders hunched forward and a forced smile, seeming to hope that he could go invisible.

Cyrus pre-transition, getting his prom dress altered.

“Before I’d fully admitted to myself or anyone else that I was a man, one of the ladies who worked in the cafeteria called me ‘sir,’” Cyrus said. “I absolutely lit up, excited that someone had seen me as something other than a girl. I was gushing about it to my friends and then started experimenting with he/him pronouns.” Two months later, Cyrus knew there was no other explanation and came out as transgender.

He started hormone therapy over that summer, seeing some drastic changes to his voice and build after just a few months. He still takes testosterone to this day and continually changes for the better. “Ever since he started taking HRT, he’s brightened up beyond belief,” said Vix Gerry, Cyrus’s friend. “He stands up straighter, he talks more, and he can actually make eye contact.” The confidence level change is noticeable; he’s started engaging in more activities and making friends in classes instead of trying to blend in with the back wall.

“I wouldn’t have been able to do this without my college friends,” Cyrus said. “Having them around and supporting me made it possible for me to explore my gender and figure myself out.”

College is a time of self-discovery for everyone, but more so for LGBT+ individuals. They can take the time to themselves and think about their gender and sexuality. Giving people the time and space to discover themselves is incredibly important, and college is just the way to do it for some people. If you have friends or family who came out during college (or any other time), give them your support. Chances are, you’ll see your loved ones change for the better.



Cyrus a few years after starting HRT.




 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Coming Out In College

        Have you ever experienced something so impactful that a core part of your identity was formed, one you had no idea you had? That’s s...